At Smile Studio Dentistry of Baltimore, We Recommend Dental Sealants. Here’s Why…
Call Us About Dental Sealants
- Preserve tooth strength
- Prevent cavities
- Minimize your need for complex dental treatments on sealed teeth
- Ideal for children & many adults
- Boost tooth health for life!
At Smile Studio Dentistry of Baltimore, we take your oral health seriously. Utilizing a preventive approach in all we do, our focus is on stopping problematic issues before they start so you can smile … and keep smiling!
Among our preventive methods:
- Ongoing checkups – Based on your unique needs, we’ll work with your schedule to book regular appointments to ensure that your dental health is maintained and fostered. During our exam, we’ll perform:
- Gum health assessments – Part of our oral exam includes checking the color of your gums, the depth of their pockets, how well your teeth are supported, and looking for any infection and signs of early or advanced gum disease.
- Tooth health check – Are you experiencing any decay, cracks, or chips? If so, we’ll discuss how to correct damage to prevent further damage and pain, and to help bring back beauty and function to your smile.
- Restoration examinations –Dental treatments like fillings, bridges, crowns, and bonding require updating over time. Our exam will ensure that these restorations are in the state they should be so your oral health is prioritized.
- Education – Any issues we find will be discussed with you, and we’ll walk you through the cause of the problem as well as the importance of repairing it. We’ll suggest a treatment we know will help, and together, we’ll be better able to prevent and manage any future issues.
Beyond ongoing checkups, an incredibly important and simple step you can take to prioritize your oral health – in addition to maintaining an excellent at-home routine of brushing twice and flossing once daily – is to have dental sealants applied to your teeth.
How are dental sealants helpful?
A thin liquid plastic coating applied to the surfaces of molars and premolars, dental sealants shield them from bacteria that causes decay. Its liquid form enables sealants to cover deep pits and fissures, effectively protecting the enamel. And because it’s completely painless, there’s no need for anesthetic.
Who is a candidate for dental sealants?
- Young and older children who need help keeping their teeth clean
- Patients with mobility challenges and aren’t able to brush with proper technique
- Dementia patients with irregular oral hygiene habits
- Children and adults with molars that have deep pits and fissures.
Some of the benefits of dental sealants:
- Cavity Prevention. Sometimes it’s hard to reach the areas of teeth where bacteria likes to hide. With sealant in place, cleaning the crevasses and teeth is significantly easier!
- It’s easily applied. Having dental sealants applied to teeth is simple and pain-free. After teeth are cleaned, sealant is brushed on using with a tool that’s similar to a paintbrush. It’s then cured with a safe ultraviolet light.
- Quick application. The application and curing process is fast – approximately five minutes per tooth. The material can be applied during a routine hygiene appointment, or during a short sealant-specific appointment.
- They save you money. Dental sealants are covered by many insurance companies until a child has reaches 18, and in some cases, they’re covered for adults. This has to due with the fact that the cost of having sealants applied is significantly less that the cost of restorations and decay treatment.
- They’re durable. Caring for sealants is identical to caring for your natural teeth, and with diligent care, they can last up to 10 y ears.
- They’re effective. Studies show that sealants have the potential to minimize the risk of decay by nearly 80%. And the Centers For Disease Control reports that children who don’t have sealants experience almost three times the cavities that children with sealants experience.
Sealants save time, money, and smiles! Call us at (410) 469-7407 today to schedule an appointment or to ask any questions!
As your dentist in Baltimore, we always have your, and your family’s, best interest in mind. It’s our job to help you keep healthy – in body and smile – and all of us at Smile Studio Dentistry of Baltimore take this very seriously. With a preventive view in everything we do, our goal is to intercept oral health issues before they happen … to keep you smiling.